Since opening their first store in Beijing in 1999, Starbucks is on pace to have 1,500 China locations by the end of 2014, representing the largest market for the brand outside of the United States.
Driving their success has been a seamless localization of the global brand experience that balances regional tastes (tea and mooncake) with an aspirational lifestyle that has resonated with consumers through distinctive retail environments.
Starbucks has created a specialized digital brand ecosystem in China with a focus on seasonal product promotions and brand loyalty. Weibo posts create awareness for seasonal product offerings while customer retweets are amplified to foster brand affinity. Instead of integrating with WeChat, Starbucks has chosen to manage brand loyalty and CRM through a downloadable mobile app that provides direct access to consumers as they manage membership rewards.
What You’ll Learn
The Starbucks digital report takes a comprehensive look at the digital and social channels of China’s most popular coffee chain and one of the West’s most successful retail entrants into the mainland market – showing you how the brand has cultivated a passionate fan base while constantly driving traffic to stores through Weibo and WeChat.
- Brand Website: You’ll learn how Starbucks uses their website as a hub for coffee knowledge and brand loyalty while also supporting seasonal offerings and new product launches.
- Brand Mobile App: We’ll show you how Starbucks has built the brand mobile app to be an indispensable part of the customer experience while also providing a dedicated channel for promotions.
- Weibo: We’ll analyze the brand’s Weibo posting strategy to reveal how Starbucks engages with fans on China’s leading microblog.
- WeChat: You’ll see how WeChat fits into the brand’s communication strategy, and how far the brand has gone to unlock its mobile potential.
- Youku: We’ll reveal Starbucks’ video strategy and which types of content are attracting the most views.
- Key Opinion Leaders: We’ll show you how Starbucks deploys a unique KOL strategy that relies on retail partners to generate awareness.