Key opinion leaders, or KOLs, are major players on China social media and have an important role in most successful digital marketing strategies on the mainland. Ranging from fashion bloggers to celebrity travel photographers, KOLs have amassed large and loyal audiences largely due to the high-quality content and unique perspectives they provide in a given category.
With this combination of influence and reach, KOLs have become a favored tool for marketers to amplify a message across a targeted audience as well as provide a localized perspective for domestic consumers who are discovering new brands and products.
There are many ways to collaborate with KOLs on social media, ranging from simple brand retweets to event attendance to custom content creation. But netizens have grown numb to endorsements as brands continue to reuse the same core group of bloggers, while unscrupulous KOLs have begun to boost their numbers with fake followers and engagement. In this environment, marketers must design more innovative integrations and look to more influential grassroots opinion leaders who may have smaller but more engaged audiences in order to improve ROI.
What You’ll Learn
This Trend Report will take a look at the latest KOL activity among top brands in the fashion, beauty, and sportswear categories, outside of mainstream celebrity endorsements. You’ll learn which KOLs are being used, and how brands are collaborating with them to boost awareness and support campaigns.
- Fashion & Luxury: We’ll show you how leading brands like Chanel, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Cartier and Tiffany work with KOLs to boost event buzz and connect with digital fashion fans.
- Beauty: Perhaps no category is as closely integrated with KOL influencers as beauty and cosmetics, lead by brands like Lancome, Estee Lauder, and L’Oreal, as Chinese consumers rely on word of mouth and expert reviews to build trust as they develop their personal regimens.
- Sportswear: Brands like Nike, Adidas, and New Balance rely on KOLs not only to inspire activity among a relatively new fitness audience, but also to educate them on how activewear is quickly becoming a part of everyday fashion around the world.
- Key Metrics & Performance: We’ll show you key statistical trends for each category and how different KOL types are performing in support of brand initiatives.
- KOL Listings: This report includes top 10 lists for the best performing KOLs for each category.